I guess it's good news that usually wives start out as just that...wives. No kids, no table full of people...just you and your husband to experiment on. And boy have I experimented!
At first, in my newlywed days, I used to buy all pre-made frozen/boxed/canned junk. Probably because my mom made everything from scratch and I just thought, "There has to be a better way!" But how much 'pour a quiche', steak-umms and Hamburger Helper can you eat? YUCK!
After awhile, I decided to tackle bigger things like pot roast and roast turkey...and it took me 15 years to get it all right. (at least my family says it tastes good...)
Don't laugh (or go ahead if you want to) but the first Thankgiving together, I made piecrust from scratch in the morning (3 hours before we were supposed to go to the in-laws for dinner) only to get so frustrated I actually threw it up against a wall in a fit of anger and frustration! ..Oh boy!...so I think we ended up stopping at a grocery store and buying 4 pies on the trip to their house...and wouldn't you know it?, there were at least 6 other desserts there anyway! Aaaaahhhh!
So, this week, I spent WAY too much on the first turkey of the season! But, I expect to get 3 meals out of it. That makes me feel better about spending the $21.00!
(got to get in practice for the big Thanksgiving meal to come!!)
3 comments:
Wow....I don't know how you do it...6 people! But, you are fortunate, I think your kids will eat a lot of things that typical kids won't! Although, when you look at it from my perspective - MY child, and you know what a picky eater he is!
Thanksgiving sounds very yummy right now - can't wait!
mmmm...pumpkin bisque anyone?
Yes, my children are definitely NOT typical...ha ha
You're too funny! Be thankful they're not "typical"! They are a joy! :)
Post a Comment